Friday, January 30, 2015

You are a leader.

It just about crushed me the other day when i found out that Cruz had been in trouble for talking too much during class, distracting others, and leading other kids into doing the same. Not becuse I thought it was a terrible thing, but because I knew where the blame was going.  I never had a teacher-parent interaction that didn't include that.  I never had a report card that didn't indicate that.  Worst of all, your mother never had that on her report card.

Dad is to blame.  I like attention. In fact, I love it.  I lovc being at the center of the story, the attagonist, and the star.  Life is boring when you are entertaining yourself.  I will warn you now that if you don't learn to control it, it will be a part of your life forever.  I am 33 now, and every time we get around a group of people your mother accuses me of it.  So here are my thoughts.

1. Learn to control it- You don't need to be the star of every show.  People grow tired of it, and can resent it.
2. Respect your teachers-  They need you to not be an asshole, becuase if you are, then everyone will be. Some of your teachers will be great people that just want a little help, or at least not a hinderence.  Take your current teacher, Ms. Dana, for example.  She is in charge of 20 4 years olds.  When you are a punk, it means others will follow you making her job harder.  She is a great young lady.  I wish her the best, and by that I mean not having to deal with 20 4 year olds.  She does it with grace, but man, that has to be awful.
3. To thine self be true-  I think that is Shakespeare... but your mom is the English teacher.  Look, I want to tell you that you need to tone it down, fall in line, and get with the program.  My problem is that I never did.  I still don't.  I don't feel bad about it at all.  I like to be at the center of the story, and I like to have eyes on me.  It's just about the best feeling in the world to me to have a crowd in the palm of my hand.  It's part of what makes me succesful and it's part of what I love about being me.
*side note- people hate phrase like "what I love about being me".  I think that is because they have never let themselves be happy with who they are.  I like me.  I think I am pretty awesome in fact.  Is that arrogant, self centered, or proud?  Probably.  I don't care.  I would take "liking me" over "self loathing any day."

Long story short... try to find the happy middle between being a clown and loving a crowd.  You are going to offend some people along the way, and you are going to have some good times.  I can't bring myself to tell you to try to be a wallflower.  Some lights are meant to shine.  I hope you figure out when they should sooner than I have.  It will suit you well.


No comments:

Post a Comment