Friday, January 30, 2015

The Good Samaritan

I read the illustrated Bible with you, Cruz, most nights.  Last night we read teh story of the Good Samaritan.  I am not a biblical scholar, but basically it's a story of a man who is found injured in the road.   Jesus asks his followers who acts as the mans neighbor in the context of "Love thy Neighbor".

*for the record, if you got a score of 1-10 on being a Christian, I would be a 5.5 and trying to improve, but I am trying to give my kids a head start on being better than me.  In no way am I trying to preach here, but I guess I do try to preach to my kids assuming that I know more than they do for the moment, even though they can understand 100 times more than I can. My 5.5 assumes that half the world doesn't know Jesus at all, therefore giving me .5 better than average.  That alone probably proves the point that I don't know enough to be worthy.

I read to you about the preacher passing the man, then the healer passing the man, and finally the random dude who is not deamed worthy coming upon the man and giving him help.  He takes him to the inn, shelters and bathes him, and pays the innkeeper to keep him safe.

Then out of nowhere, you  tell me that if you ever found your friend Liam in the dirt you would, "walk to my house and get a bicycle... but I don't know how to ride one so I would walk all the way to the farm and get a horse Then I would take the horse to Liam and help him get on it and take him to the hospital and God would see it and be happy."

Wow, what an amazing understanding for a little kid.  Bonus cute points for realizing that you don't know how to ride a bicycle, and for converting to a horse (by the way, you aren't really familiar with horses either, but I like the effort.)

Then we prayed about being good people and helping others.  Then you cried.  It was an amazing thing because you cried because you realized you were not a good boy at school, and didn't help others.  You promised to apologize to Ms. Dana the next day and do better.

You didn't do better the next day, but I still appreciate the thought.  It's amazing the way you grasped the story, applied it, and at least intended to be better because of it.  You are only 4 so I don't expect too much, but I am so proud of the little man you are threatening to be.  What a dude.

No comments:

Post a Comment